Anyone with an Aadhaar Card can now apply for the Passport online and get it within 10 days.
There is more good news for Aadhaar card owners. Now they can apply for their passports and receive them within 10 days. This process requires online application through the governments Passport Seva website.
Citizens can follow these simple steps to get their passports with the help of Aadhaar Cards:
- Register at the Passport Seva Portal: Go to this link to register. Select 'Register Now' and fill in the required details like Passport Kendra, Date of birth and Email ID.
- Activate your account: You will receive an Email with a link for activating your account. Click on it to complete the registration process.
- Choose Options: Click on 'Apply for Fresh Passport' and fill the forms. Make sure you do not make a mistake since failing the passport process will result in a long waiting time to reply.
- Fill Family Details: Save after the details have been filled. The page can be accessed anytime using the username and password you provided. Fill your family details in the next page, followed by the address page and emergency contact details page and save them.
- Schedule Appointment and Pay: Click on 'Pay and Schedule Appointment' link in the 'View Saved/Submitted Applications' page and fix the appointment time. After submission you will be required to pay online using a Credit card, Debit card or Net Banking.
- Print Receipt of Application: After the process is completed, click on 'Application Receipt' to get a printout, which contains the application reference number and appointment number.
- Reach the Passport Seva Kendra: Bring all your original documents to the Passport Seva Kendra.
- Wait 7 days: You will then receive your passport within the next 7 days at home.
This online passport application service will ease the time and effort people make to get their passport. The Ministry of External Affairs(MEA) had already made Aadhaar Cards mandatory for Passports. If a person does not have an Aadhaar Card, he/she can also use their Aadhaar enrollment number for this process.
Do you think this a step in the right direction? Let us know in the comments below.